Directing Traffic at the Intersection of Hunger and Health
by Andrea Pohlman, on Nov 24, 2015 10:06:49 AM
Accelare had the unique opportunity to apply the S2E methodology with an exceptional partner: Second Harvest Heartland.
Second Harvest Heartland is one of the nation’s largest, most efficient and most innovative food banks, who, in 2014, delivered more than 74 million meals to over 1,000 food shelves, pantries and other partner programs serving 59 counties in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. A member of Feeding America, a network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States, their mission is focused on ending hunger through community partnerships.
In their tireless efforts to reach hungry neighbors in new ways, recent studies revealed that, for their clients, a lack of food means a higher likelihood of chronic disease and poor health:
- 32% of their clients′ households have a member with diabetes.
- 45% have a member with high blood pressure.
- 67% have to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care in the last 12 months.
In a correlating study of physicians who treat their clients, the following information was revealed:
- 80% of respondents said that patients′ social needs are as important to address as their medical conditions.
- 80% also reported that they did not feel confident in their capacity to meet these needs.
- When doctors have limited options for helping patients with social needs, they tend not to ask about them.
With the knowledge that everyone accesses the health care system, the opportunity was there: Second Harvest Heartland can connect with clients that aren’t currently visiting agencies – new clients in new ways. However, within this information presented a challenge – a dramatic shift in their current business model.
Accelare applied our innovative Strategy to Execution (S2E) methods and tools (WorkFit) to deliver a transformational business model that supports Second Harvest Heartland in not only serving their current client base, but to:
- Expand their products and services to reach a new population
- Forge new and pioneering partnerships within the Healthcare industry
- Launch pilots to close the gaps between Hunger and Health